Forge Philosophy 7-30-08

“We are a nation of physical animals who have forgotten how much we enjoy being that. We are cushioned by this kind of make-believe, unreal world and we have no idea what we can survive because we are never challenged or tested.”

~ Chuck Palahniuk

Went to King’s Island yesterday, and I was surrounded by people described by the above quote – blissfully unaware of their sloth-like appearance, and for whatever reason, curiously enamored with fanny packs. Even more disturbing images were seen at the water park, where these same folks decided it would be good to disrobe and ruin my day – ohhh the humanity.

But today I felt better, because we suffered mightily at the Forge: 3 rounds of 365m run + 15 push jerks @ 75% BW. I completed this in 10:32 with 135lbs. On Monday, we tackled Diane (21-15-9 of 225lb deadlifts and HSPU)…I got it done in a little over 8 minutes.

Rick lifting heavy things and using profanity…

img_0399.JPGimg_0398.JPGimg_0400.JPG

9 Responses to “Forge Philosophy 7-30-08”

1. moe says:

Love the King’s Island story. We have the same to look forward to at the State Fair. Morbidly Obese people with a turkey leg in one hand and a gallon sized Diet Coke in the other!

Love me some King’s Island

3. The Joe says:

Moe, you forgot “while complaining about how it is impossible for them to lose weight, no matter how hard they try.”

My favorite Fair Foods were all the deep fried fruits and vegitables they offer. What’s that Doc, you want me to eat more fruits and veggies? OK.

Oh, and who could forget the deep fried pineapple upside down cake.

Man, all this fair talk is making me think I may have to make a special trip…

4. the blacksmith says:

The Joe…..come back soon….i missed you last time!

1 Cheesy beef stick and a Lemon shake-up. Done. Back to the gym. 🙂

6. the blacksmith says:

actually Joe….I forgot to mention that you should join us August 10th at the Indiana State Fair as we demonstrate Crossfit principles to the InShape Indiana crowd….get your WOD on followed by a deep-fried snickers bar! I believe the fun starts at 10am….

7. The Joe says:

Oh I wish I could…not for the workout, but for the snickers 😉

8. Ben S says:

Vince,

I really like the quote for today. I have always thought that people of today are de-evolving (is that a word?) physically. I recently finished a book titled “The Road” that is a story about the survival of a father and son in a post nuclear world. A quick read but very good. The author has a strange style of writing but you get used to it. I highly recommend it.

Ben

9. the blacksmith says:

ben…thanks for the tip – i’ll check it out..